Shannon W. Conway
DallasManaging ShareholderOf Counsel
Licensed in TX, VA and DC
Shannon Conway currently serves as a Professor of Practice and Assistant Director of Bar Readiness with UNT Dallas College of Law located in downtown Dallas. In addition to serving as the Firm’s Managing Shareholder, Shannon maintains a dual litigation practice in complex financing and policyholder coverage. Shannon also founded the Firm’s General Counsel practice to allow emerging companies to access quality in-house counsel legal services at a predictable price, without absorbing the considerable expenses of staffing a full-time General Counsel position.
In the financing context, Shannon has successfully prosecuted and defended claims involving mortgage repurchase obligations and securitized loan pools. She formally served as independent counsel to a mortgage servicer in connection with the OCC’s consent order requiring a foreclosure practices look-back review. With a keen understanding of compliance matters involving origination, servicing and foreclosure practices, as well as first-chair trial experience, Shannon continues to represent the Firm’s institutional investor clients in pursuing claims against recalcitrant trustees and servicers in structured finance transactions. Shannon also serves as a contributing author to the Mortgage Asset Backed Securities Litigation Handbook (Thompson-West 2008), dedicating her time to reading, writing and staying abreast of legal developments in the structured finance litigation arena.
In the policyholder coverage litigation context, Shannon advises and represents policyholders in pursuing and maximizing insurance coverage under numerous policy forms, including CGL, D&O, E&O, EPL, professional liability, fidelity bonds and marine insurance policies. She has successfully prosecuted suits in trial and appellate courts around the country involving insured v. insured exclusions, pollution exclusions, professional service exclusions, property damage exclusions, the scope and trigger of the duty to defend, loss policy issues, business interruption coverage issues, and even broker malpractice.
Prior to joining Talcott Franklin P.C., Shannon spent her entire career with Patton Boggs LLP, rising up the BigLaw ladder from Secretary to Partner.
- Achieved favorable settlement for subprime lender in connection with claims against its E&O insurer to obtain millions of dollars of coverage for a claim of “unfair” lending practices
- Achieved favorable settlement for condominium management board in connection with claims alleging fiduciary duty breaches and property damage under management liability policy
- Secured reversal and remand by the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court of New York granting environmental coverage under a lost policy. Estee Lauder Inc. v. OneBeacon Ins. Group, LLC, No. 602379/05, 2009 WL 398879 (1st Dep’t Feb. 19, 2009)
- Obtained judgment in broker malpractice litigation involving marine and CGL policies. OCI Chemical Corp. v. Aon Corp., No. CV05-4003935S (Conn. Sup. Ct. Aug. 31, 2008)
- Obtained ruling requiring insurer to advance defense expenses under D&O policy for both covered and excluded claims against the insured. Julio & Sons Co. v. Travelers Cas. & Sur. Co., 591 F. Supp. 2d 651 (S.D.N.Y. 2008)
- In the wake of Hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Harvey, prepared coverage analyses for multiple companies for business interruption and other losses under various property policies
- In successful appellate briefing to the Third Circuit Court of Appeals, obtained reversal and remand in a ruling establishing that a standard CGL insurance policy provides coverage for trademark infringement liability, even where the infringing conduct may also constitute a breach by the policyholder of a licensing agreement. Houbigant, Inc. v. Federal Ins. Co., 374 F.3d 192 (3d Cir. 2004)
Licenses and Court Admissions
- State Bar of Texas
- Virginia State Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- United States District Courts for the District of Columbia, Eastern District of Virginia, District of Colorado and Northern District of Texas
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Sixth, Ninth and District of Columbia Circuits
- Catholic University of America, J.D., 1999
- Towson University, B.S., 1992